AI writing tools can be a useful addition to a content marketing strategy, but it’s important to know how to use them effectively.
In this blog post, we’ll cover the basics of AI writing tools and provide tips on how to incorporate them into your content creation process.
Why use AI writing tools like Chat-GPT?
There are several reasons why a content marketer might choose to use an AI writing tool:
- Speed: AI writing tools can generate text quickly, which can be useful for meeting tight deadlines or for generating a high volume of content.
- Cost-effectiveness: In some cases, using an AI writing tool can be more cost-effective than hiring another writer, especially for simple tasks such as writing meta descriptions or meta titles.
- Language proficiency: If you need content in a language you are not proficient in, an AI writing tool can help translate and generate text in that language.
Of course, it’s important to note that AI writing tools should only be used as a supplement to, rather than a replacement for, human content creation.
The key is to use it to enable human writers, rather than to completely replace them with it.
How to use an AI tool for content marketing
Here are five ways to use an AI writing tool to boost your content marketing efforts:
- As a brainstorming tool – AI tools can be useful for generating ideas and prompts for content marketing. Try feeding it various keywords and phrases related to your industry and see what ideas it suggests.
- For generating content outlines – Once you have a general idea for your content, you can use tools like Chat-GPT to generate an outline by feeding it a prompt and asking it to list out the main points or subtopics for the piece.
- For generating copy for social media posts or email campaigns – Some AI writing tools can be used to generate short bursts of copy for social media posts or email campaigns. Just be sure to review and edit the generated text to ensure it aligns with your brand voice and messaging.
- For creating long-form content – Some marketers swear by the writing tools that they use for generating long-form content. While I’m still on the fence about this, I believe it’s still worth a try. As with any other AI-generated text, make sure to review and edit the output thoroughly. While some advanced tools like Chat-GPT can generate long-form content, the output can still be ridden with factual inaccuracies. Always ensure that what you publish is accurate, well-written, and aligns with your brand voice.
- For podcast episodes and video scripts – You can use AI tools to generate a list of potential topics or prompts for video or podcast content. Just remember that while it can generate a list of potential topics or prompts for your content, you still have to refine the ideas to ensure they are relevant, interesting, and aligned with your brand.
If you’re using ChatGPT, you can find powerful prompts for text manipulation, keyword research, schema, and content generation here.
Don’t rely solely on AI writing tools. While they can be useful for generating ideas and copy, it is important to remember that they will never be a replacement for human expertise and creativity.
Use them as what they are – tools – to help you in your content marketing efforts, but don’t rely on them entirely. In my experience, these writing tools can only make one write faster, but not better.
A little caveat: I still refuse to use AI writing tools to write for clients – unless they ask me to. I’ve tried using them to generate captions and some TOFU content, and so far, I’m happy with the results.